Sunday, November 02, 2008

 

Thank You, Studs

First of all, thank you for living such a long life. You had so many good things to do that your body did its best to keep up with your curiosities and causes. You were the energy of civic life and intellect.

Thanks for being a great listener. I have several of your books on my shelves, and only someone who listens respectfully and prods with gentle questions could have achieved the level of self and societal revelation that your books achieved.

Thanks especially for Working. I used that book in my senior English classes to give my students a peek at what the that world looked like in its multidimensional wonder and horror. I especially treasured your introduction, which my students were not yet ready to understand, but I understood too well:

This book, being about work, is, by its very nature, about violence--to the spirit as well as to the body. .. It is about a search, too, for daily meaning as well as daily bread, for recognition as well as cash, for astonishment rather than torpor, in short for a sort of life rather than a Monday through Friday sort of dying.

Thanks for the case of autographed books you sent to us to auction off when Watsonville, CA cannery workers were involved in a crucial strike. We got together to stage a performance of your play, and I remember what you wrote in those books: "Stick together and you'll win."

Thanks also for your courageous books on Race, on Coming of Age, on Hard Times and the Second World War. Thanks for your radio show, which provided people a place for discussion and dialogue with dignity.

Thanks also for being so accessible to those who wanted to meet you. In searching for a picture of you for this blog, I found so many pictures of ecstatic young folks photographed with you, thrilled to make your acquaintance.

You were the embodiment of Chicago for me. I have yet to visit that city, but I feel that I have read the words of its best.

I am comforted that I still have you in your books, which I will dip into again and again, in the hopes that some of your wisdom will rub off on me.

May you ride in the finest Cosmic Cab.

Comments:
Hey, lulu saw you on KZDrive's site a new englad crank is right up my alley ! I did this morning's post on Studs too. Glad he has so much more to read I only read Race and what a great book for our times huh ? here's my offering :
http://justice4claire.blogspot.com/2008/11/noboc-award-to-studs-terkel-who.html

Peace
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Blog-O-Cuss Meter - Do you cuss a lot in your blog or website?