Tuesday, October 02, 2007

 

Ah, DC

When you live in what is demographically, officially the whitest state in the union, it's heaven to get back to being around other cultures.

I remember when I was talking to the superintendent who gave me my first job in Vermont. "We don't have have any trouble with minorities because we don't have much in the way of minorities," he told me with misplaced satisfaction.

I came from a district enriched by Hispanics, Filipinos, and a few African-Americans, which was a very good thing, since we were rounded out by the descendents of Okies, some of whom had stills somewhere on their Prunedale properties. "I kiulled me a Mexican once," a father actually told me once in a parent conference.


As usual, I digress. We dined on soul food last night, and the neighborhood in
which we're staying is nicely diverse. Duke Ellington actually lived down the street from ages 11 to 18 and returned to stay in a first class hotel in segregated Washington once everybody new who he was. Anyhow, I love seeing other races and cultures. The folks at whom I steal admiring glances can't possibly know how good it is to see them. The pictures here are murals at the local Metro station.

Interestingly, DC license plates bear the motto, Taxation Without Representation. How's that for institutionalized irony?

This ain't a rapturous review of DC, but it's full of respect. Yes sir. Yes ma'am.

Comments:
really wonderful post....thank you ....thank you for embracing and writing about what matters...
 
Girl, you always have had a good, compassionate head on your shoulders.
It's people like you who make me believe America is not *quite* doomed yet.
Keep up the good work.
>>kisskiss<<
 
I feel your pain about the lack of diversity. I moved from Texas to Central PA, otherwise known as that piece of Kentucky that lies between Pittsburgh and Philly. I freaked out the first time I saw a high school football practice with NO black athletes.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

The Blog-O-Cuss Meter - Do you cuss a lot in your blog or website?